Sunday, August 10, 2008

I Love My City

I love my city. I know it seems strange to love a city. People generally love family, friends, the opposite sex, and of course a steaming hot, deep-dish Chicago style pizza. But I woke up this morning thinking about how much I love Winter Haven, FL.

I don’t love it because it is the cutest, the cleanest, or the most caring, although it is. I don’t love it because of the Chicago style pizza because it doesn’t have any. I love Winter Haven because Jesus does.

Jesus Loves Cities

In Luke 19, we see that Jesus loves cities. “When He approached Jerusalem, He saw the city and wept over it…” Jerusalem, the City of David, was the crown jewel of Israel. Jesus loved it. It was lost. Jesus wept.

Jesus doesn’t weep often. When He does, I pay attention. What do I learn? Cities are important because people are important.

People in Cities Need Jesus

My city, Winter Haven has some wonderful points. There are beautiful lakes, serene pastures, and some great revitalization going on downtown. But like Jerusalem, and New York, and Chicago, and Hoboken - much of it is lost. Dads have deserted their homes. Moms are neglecting their kids. Students roam the streets and drugs pillage the schools. Like every town and city in our great country, Winter Haven needs Jesus.

God Reaches Cities Through Us

That’s why I am so thankful that God has given me, along with thousands of others, a heart, and the means to make a difference. Through efforts large and small, performed in many venues, hidden and unheralded by men – God is working through us.

My small part? This week the LifeRenewal Ministries team, (www.LifeRenewalMinistries.com) on which I am privileged to serve, began gearing up to throw our small rock in Winter Haven’s pond of need. Our God-sized goal is for the every woman in Winter Haven to ‘Experience Transformation through Knowing Jesus.’ Our almost invisible venue is two weekly studies each Thursday.

Our vision is large. Our effect is small. But our faith is unshakeable. God loves our city. So do I. Pray with me that this fall His love will shine brightly and effectively here locally for all to see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this week's entry.

Praying that God will give me more of a love for my city - Winter haven.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Kim, for reminding us so well that Jesus does love our city because many of His people are here along with the many others who need to know Him. I'm so grateful He's called me to this place as a part of His plan for Winter Haven. Lots of work to do...