Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Happy God

God is happy. I Timothy 1:11 states it with deep Biblical propositions saying this: “The gospel of the glory of the blessed God.” Huh? Pastor John Piper helps me understand it by paraphrasing it this way: “The good news of the glory of the happy God.” The happy God, I like that!

I treasure knowing that my God is joy-filled, eternally, and irrepressibly happy. When He looks out at the world He isn’t discouraged, dismayed, or depressed – in fact, He is happy beyond belief.

I’m not always happy. I watch the news and I stew. I watch the economic downturn and I worry. I watch my children grow up and I chew my fingernails to the quick. No, I’m not always happy. Shame on me.

God knows all things – and He’s not worried. God controls all things and He lives in peace. God sees the beginning from the end and He smiles in delight.

It is this happy God that surrounds and envelopes me with His presence. And it is His Spirit that lives in me, filling me with abundance. Thus, I can declare with the Psalmist: “In Thy presence is fullness of joy.” (Psalm 16:11).

In Matthew 25:23 Jesus invites me to dwell in joy with Him by saying, “Enter into the joy of your master.” And today, I think I will. Won’t you join me today in enjoying our happy God?

1 comment:

Susan Fleming said...

I stew, mostly because I'm guilty of not living a life that glorifies Him, and I fret because the cisterns I've dug are dry (and what else would they be??)... I forget that He is smiling, and instead avoid looking at Him because I expect a frown. Thank you for reminding me.