Sunday, June 1, 2008

To the Graduate - An Open Letter to My Son

We smiled. Really, it was all that your father and I could do the first time we saw you. We just smiled. You were so precious, so tiny, so vulnerable, and best of all you were ours!

That first year flew by so quickly. You slept, you burped, you laughed, and you made us all smile. I have never seen a better baby in my whole life – at least until your feet hit the floor. Look out world. You crawled, you climbed, you scampered, and you escaped my tender grasp time and time again. But you never escaped my heart.

Your proud foray into the world of academia soon followed when at the age of two you stepped out of my car and into Hope Preschool. The world gasped but welcomed this delightful class clown with the beguiling eyes, and your ability to make others smile just grew and grew. And so did you. From Hope, to Calvary, to Grace Lutheran, Geneva, and then home again, the literal and academic years have sprouted wings and flown.

I have loved watching you go and grow, pure energy wrapped in skin. An accomplished drummer, a faithful student and a star athlete, our hearts nearly burst with pride. With incredible agility, you have tapped out a tune, graced the soccer fields, led the football team, and mastered the art of Tae Kwon Do. We have loved every minute of watching, listening, cheering, and screaming your name. You are truly amazing.

And now our baby boy has grown into a mature and wonderful man. Kind, compassionate, intense, and determined, you still make me smile. I love you with all my heart, dear son. And on this, your high school graduation day, I lift my eyes toward heaven above and thank our Father for the day He chose to make you ours.

Congratulations – and look out world, he’s only just begun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your heart!

You are a great writer!

Gale