Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Community of Christian Friends

“I Did It My Way”

Hiking is exhilarating. I love choosing the tallest mountain, picking the toughest trail, and scaling my way to the highest point. Mighty conqueror, I pause at the peak, recapture my breath, drink in the view, and throw both arms high in the air in a triumphant pose. Yes! I did it and I did it all by myself.

This is a great attitude for hiking but it sure gets me in trouble everywhere else. Surrounded by the sound waves of American self-sufficiency I all too easily hum Frank Sinatra’s old classic, “I Did It My Way.”

This is completely contrary to God’s design!

God Has a Different Way

Instead of isolated islands, God placed us in families, in relationships, in churches, and in community. He extols the virtues of sharing, submission, and sacrifice. He is right.

That’s why I was so thankful Thursday to restart the summer rhythm of meeting with my accountability group. It is a simple gathering born out of sheer desperation. Years ago, fearing my self-sufficient nature, I approached a handful of godly, gracious women. Women who would love me, support me, teach me, and keep me in line. I invited them into my world and eventually into my heart. They are my dear friends and more.

I’ll Do It His Way

So, as the calendar turned over to summer we began to meet again. Ninety simple minutes of getting reacquainted and reconnected - with each other, our goals, our callings, and our overwhelming love for Jesus. These women make the gospel come alive. They restore my sense of spiritual community and their authentic lives open my heart wider to the love of God.

Solo hiking may be an exhilarating afternoon excursion, but it is only in community that I experience real, daily Christian living. Thank you dear friends, for all that you are and do in my life. I am humbled by the privilege of walking this journey with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful commentary on what true community is all about. What a blessing to have real Christian friendships!