Sunday, June 22, 2008

Remedy for Anxiety

With gas prices skyrocketing and the economy nose-diving, my daily anxiety level was definitely rising. Questions with no answers spun around endlessly in my mind. Would Jonathan find work? Should we be looking for a more economical car? Will my friend lose her job? Will the market crash? Is the world coming to an end? The noise in my head and the pit in my stomach just grew and grew.

And frankly, my prayers didn’t seem to be helping. “God, make more jobs. Stabilize the market. Fix the economy. Find more oil. Ease my way in this life.” But even as my praying increased, my anxiety did as well. What was wrong?

Then I remembered. What you feed grows, what you starve dies. I had been feeding my anxiety and it had become a mushroom cloud of doom that haunted me day and night. Each morning as I got ready for the day, I listened to the newscasters drone on and on in the background. In the evening before bed, I turned on the TV, tuning into the catastrophe of the day. No wonder my stomach hurt and my mind was reeling. It was time for a change.

This week as I got ready in the mornings, I played my mind and heart a different song. Praise music filled the room reminding me of my powerful God. He is bigger than the economy, wiser than the world’s leaders, truer than the market, and better than any earthly blessings. That sweet tune followed me throughout the day and sang over me in the night. God is on the throne. All is safe in His loving hands.

This week join me on my new diet. Feed faith – starve fear.

No comments: