Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Year of Better Choices

I like to measure things. In fact, very few things in my life escape examination – how far can I run, how much do I weigh, how many have I done? So often, knowing how and where to improve will depend largely on how much progress I have made.

My sad realization however is this, some things just can’t be measured. The truly important attitudes and affections, such as my love for others, my heart towards God, and my spiritual journey with Christ, don’t line up well under the yardstick of my mind. Deep sigh. How will I ever grow and change if I can’t tell where I have been and what much further I have to go?

These pondering came to a head last month on my birthday. This annual event always provides an opportunity to evaluate my life in its most important areas. But alas, no adequate measurements or markers could be found.

Not so easily deterred from my relentless quest for more of Christ, I shifted my focus and the whole view changed. Instead of leaning forward towards definable results, I decided to look inward for a deeper obedience. I would concentrate on Christ in the tiniest of habits and trust Him to write my legacy. This year, the 365 days between one birthday and the next would be, “The Year of Better Choices.”

Whenever I face a decision, carrots or cake, compliance or complaint, others or self – with God’s help I will make the better choice. Scripture clearly promises that when I abide in Him, He will cause me to bear fruit. So, this year I will look less at the tree and more at the Gardener.



“But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.”
II Corinthians 3:18



I made the determination. I have set up a journaling system. I even purchased and set up a countdown clock. Pray for me, only 322 days more to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carrots or cake? How about carrot cake?