Sunday, July 27, 2008

Christmas in July

Christmas, Already?

I love the holidays. The golden turkey rightly enthroned, vacuum-clogging tinsel covering the floor, gifts scattered artfully under the tree - I love it all. In fact, if you listen closely you can catch me humming, “Hark, the Herald…” twelve months out of twelve. Christmas is my favorite time of year.

And yes, I have looked at the calendar recently. It is still July. With its searing heat, soaking humidity, and summer rains, December seems a long way off. Yet, as I reel from life’s ups and downs these past few weeks, my mind and heart can’t help but turn to Christmas - especially my favorite one, the Christmas that began all Christmases, that very first one.

To Kim, With Love

That year, in a humble stable, there were a myriad of gifts under God’s tree. Incredibly, some even bore my name. To: Kim, with love, From God. And over the years, I’ve eagerly torn open each one, discarded the manger-brown wrapping, and treasured them all.

God gives the best gifts, doesn’t He? They are the kind of gifts that keep on giving and giving. But the particular precious present I’ve hugged to myself throughout this shadowy week is that supreme gift, the gift of God, Emmanuel. God with us. God with Kim. Nothing could have ministered to me more.

God With Us

  • When I wake up at 3:00 am, worries racing though my mind – He’s there.
  • When I wake again, give in and get up, at 4:00 a.m. His smile lights my day.
  • I read His Word; He speaks. It is good.
  • As I work, He whispers His words of wisdom.
  • As I seek to love, He loves through me.
  • At last, I collapse in sleep and He sings songs over me in the night.
  • Weary, the clock again read 3:00 a.m. He has not moved.
  • Today, I will do it all again, but I am not alone.

Emmanuel – God with Kim. It’s the perfect gift, and I love it.

Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

KarenPark said...

Dear Sweet Kim,

All I can say is Thank you for this wonderful reminder!!

MUST READ DAILY.